Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More Advice to the Young Criminal Defense Lawyer -- Part 2. Books and Movies

A very short list of must-read books for the budding criminal defense lawyer (just those that pop into my head right now)

"To Kill a Mockingbird" (Harper Lee)

"Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae" (Steven Pressfield)

"Wilkes: His Life and Crimes" (Winston Schoonover [Charles Sevilla])

"The First Rumpole Omnibus (Rumpole)" (John Mortimer)

"Being Peace" (Thich Nhat Hanh)

"The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists" (Neil Strauss)

"My Voice Will Go With You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson, M.D." (W. W. Norton & Company)

"Frogs into Princes: Neuro Linguistic Programming" (Richard Bandler, John Grinder)

"Impro for Storytellers (Theatre Arts (Routledge Paperback))" (Keith Johnstone)

"Indefensible: One Lawyer's Journey into the Inferno of American Justice" (David Feige)

And an even shorter list of must-see movies:

"True Believer" (Joseph Ruben)

"Primal Fear" (Gregory Hoblit)

Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

Eric Turkewitz said...

I'm no criminal law guru, but I think To Kill A Mockingbird would probably be a nice addition.

Mark Bennett said...

Good call. I've added it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I really liked "The Smoking Gun" by Gerry Spence. I told Adam about it. Since I know you went to Thunderhead, I figured you would have liked it.

Anonymous said...

I know one of my favorite movies, although maybe not a classic is John Grisham's "A Time to Kill".

Mark Bennett said...

In truth, I've tried to read a couple of Gerry's books, and haven't been able to get through them. I don't know why.

I've never seen "A Time to Kill," though I think the book was his best and might belong on the list.