Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm Back

Bennett & Bennett are back from seven days in Paris.

A few of the things the French do exceedingly well:

  • Food and drink.
  • Subterranean transport.
  • Historic preservation.
  • Clothing.
Something the French do less well:
  • Technology.

While the hotel at which we stayed in the 7th Arrondissement provided, in theory, a high-speed internet connection, that mostly-theoretical connection didn't work well enough to stay online for long enough to do more than just check email. And while I had planned to have GMail forward emails from our answering service to SMS on my French cellphone, I discovered that this was a non-trivial undertaking, and that my French -- limited mostly to cognate words of Spanish -- was not up to the task of explaining what I wanted to the cellco's customer service reps. Even in league with the hotel's concierge and the sales guy at the cellco store across the street, I was unable to make the email-to-SMS connection.

No matter, though. I needed a week away from constant and instantaneous communication with clients, potential clients, and everyone else who needs my help from time to time. It was, as I noted before, a well-deserved break; I recommend it highly.

I did check email a couple of times a day, and had young criminal defense lawyer extraordinaire Sarah Wood covering for me, so the practice didn't self-destruct. But, with wine to drink and museums to tour, I couldn't be bothered to blog much, or even to keep up with happenings in the practical blawgosphere. So I was pleasantly surprised on my return to find that Gideon's post about whether it's about justice or winning had triggered some discussion of one of my favorite topics: the nature of the criminal "justice" system, especially as it affects the players' roles and responsibilities. I'll have a good deal more to say on that a little later today.

Until then, here are the contributors to the discussion so far: Malum, Norm Pattis , Stephen Gustitis , Scott Greenfield , and Matlock (thanks to Scott for the links); and here are some of my earlier posts related, generally, to the topic: A Truly Compassionate Profession Redux, Different Sorts of Justice, Who Are You Helping and Who Are You Hurting?, Right v. Legal -- an Example, Right v. Wrong, Vanity, and Unimpressive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!

Mark, who are you endorsing for president?

Mark Bennett said...

I'm endorsing the guy (or lady) who says, "look, people, we've got to stop allowing our government to use our fear as an excuse to take away our freedom."

Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul? Barack Obama?

Anyone else?

Clinton is a bitch.